Monday, November 18, 2013

{Recipe} Kale Chips

Another unconventional/unmeasured recipe...

I had left over kale from last weeks garlic kale hummus I made (recipe here) so I decided to make some kale chips. I have seen the suggestion around on pinterest but never actually read up on any of them. I decided to just wing it.

I had one bunch of kale (with only a handful missing from the hummus) so I rinsed and cleaned it up. I separated the leaves from the stems and put all the leaves in a bowl. I tried to dry the leaves a little with some paper towels but didn't worry too much about them being a little wet. I also just kind of left the leaves in whatever size they came off of the stem as. I poured roughly a couple tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil in the bowl and some coarse sea salt and mixed everything together with my hands.

The oven was preheated to only 270 degrees F. I placed the kale on a baking pan and set the timer for 10 minutes. After 10 minutes the kale was still partly soft so I actually raised the temperature to about 350 degrees F and set the timer for another 10 minutes. I should have taken them out after the timer went off but I decided to let them cook for another 10 minutes. They weren't terrible after the entire 30 minutes but I think they would've been the best after just the first 20 minutes. They were so well done after the 30 minutes that they kind of just disintegrated in your mouth.

Overall they were very good considering fresh kale is very bitter. I would highly recommend them as a healthier snack. They are very versatile also, you could make them sweet with a little cinnamon and sugar or make them a little spicy with cayenne and/or cajun seasoning.

I didn't get a picture of the end result but just imagine dried up kale leaves. Also, the leaves really shrink down and 2 to 3 bunches of kale would've probably been more ideal.

after washing the kale

after separating the kale

No comments:

Post a Comment