Monday, November 4, 2013

{Recipe} Garlic Kale Hummus

Happy Monday!!

I never really get the 'Monday blues', maybe in part because I get to stay home with my baby girl!



My mother in law comes over every other Monday to watch Hanley while I go to class. This morning she brought me a package of pita bread she had left over at her house that they weren't going to eat. I instantly started thinking of options to use it up. I remembered I had a can of garbanzo beans in the pantry so I started thinking of a recipe for some hummus!


Hanley likes to help mommy, dig around in the fridge when it's open. I apologize for the rough recipe but I didn't measure a thing! It's just so simple, there's no way you can screw it up. We just went to the store a few days ago and have a few bunches of kale and I figured I could throw some of that in the food processor and see how it goes... You could honestly add just about anything to change it up. Pureed black beans would be good, roasted red peppers, tomato and basil, chipotle seasoning and/or hot sauce!

I got out my food processor and threw in a handful of kale, 2 splashes of lemon juice, and 3 gloves of garlic. I turned it on and let it chop up the kale for a few minutes while I opened the can of garbanzo beans and drained them. Parts of the kale were still in whole pieces so I added about a 1/4 cup of extra virgin olive oil and about 1/8 cup of water and then started adding the chickpeas. I added about a 3rd of the can at a time. I also added a few dashes of salt. After everything was pureed together I tasted it and it was good but I felt like maybe it needed something extra and so I added 2 [small] spoonfuls of plain Greek yogurt.


I cut up some of the pita bread and started snacking on the hummus and Hanley kept wanting up so I let her try it, thinking she would spit it out because the garlic is pretty strong but she loved it. She kept wanting more and more, my baby is such a good eater!

Garlic Kale Hummus

1 can of garbanzo beans (chickpeas) drained and rinsed
1 handful of kale
2 splashes of lemon juice
3 garlic cloves (more or less depending on how strong you like it)
1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
1/8 cup water
3 dashes of salt
2 [small] spoonfuls of Greek yogurt

Yummy! You've got yourself a healthy little snack! I was lucky to have all these ingredients on hand. If you don't have pita, it would be good on crackers or on a sandwich also; its very versatile!

Enjoy!

Lastly, some random pictures from our weekend...









No comments:

Post a Comment