Tuesday, November 19, 2013

Body Composition

After our first week at the gym we decided to have body composition testing done. Weight, body mass index, blood pressure, and body fat percentage. It's nice to know where you started and how far you've come.
This body composition testing comes with a personalized workout regimen tailored specifically to you and where you want your numbers to go.
Even though I am thin and 10+ pounds under my pre-pregnancy weight I still have a few spots of cellulite that I am working on so I was very pleasantly surprised at my body fat percentage.
I am less than 1% away from being considered very lean with essential fats. That's the lowest category on the body fat percentage chart for females. Yikes!! Who knew?!
So my goal is to spend more time with weights and less time with cardio even though I'm loving being a runner!!
At the end of the 12 weeks when we get tested again, I'm hoping to get my body fat percentage down just a little more!
Even with visible cellulite and stretch marks I've always had a pretty good body image. Sometimes I really don't realize how thin I am but I think all (or a lot) of females have that problem sometimes. It's so easy to focus on the areas of your body that need work or that you don't like but that doesn't mean it's always what other people are focusing on. What about all the great things about your body? Why not focus on them instead?
We've started eating pretty clean in the past several weeks. A lot of lean chicken and lots of green vegetables. I've nearly stopped buying anything processed and I'm making a lot from scratch. My best friend Angela got us familiar with meat markets so we actually buy our boneless skinless chicken breasts by the 10 pound bags now. They last us nearly 2 weeks and aren't filled with any broth solution or rib meat and are never frozen (like the bags of frozen Tyson chicken at the grocery store, yuck!)
I've always been fairly active and it's important to us to raise Hanley with a healthy body image and self respect. If we continue at the Y and make exercising fun, like swimming, racquetball, and fitness classes, it will be second nature to her and she can lead a healthy life!
So here's to focusing on drinking copious amounts of water and this being a journey with no destination!

No comments:

Post a Comment