Tuesday, May 27, 2014

Breastfeeding Diaries

As I reflect, I feel EXTREMELY lucky and fortunate to have breastfed Hanley for a year and a half!

It's been around a month and a half since I have weaned her.. I just decided it was time and I honestly don't feel like she was really getting much anyway. More than anything, toward the end I feel like it was more of a routine and soothing thing.

It was a quick wean and very very painless - it's like she never even was a breastfed baby. The night I decided it was the last night (or planned) I tried soaking it in, the entire year and a half, such a bittersweet moment.

The next night, I was a little worried about how things would go. I actually brought her a little cup, half full of warm milk to drink while I read her some night time books. After I read the books and she was done drinking her milk, I gave her a pacifier and never gave her a chance to try "going for it". I laid her in her crib and told her it was time to go to sleep and walked out. If I remember correctly, she might have fussed for a few seconds and might have taken her an extra 5 minutes to fall asleep but each night got better and better.

Each night, she wanted less and less milk from the cup I would bring to her room. Until finally, she didn't drink any of the milk. This was the best scenerio in my mind because I didn't want to have to wean her from drinking the milk, especially when it came time to potty train for night time!

Thankfully I have a pretty easy going little lady! We weaned and neither one of us have looked back! I thank God I had such a wonderful journey breastfeeding her. I'm such a huge breastfeeding advocate, it's not easy, especially in the beginning but if it's something you want for your baby, I would suggest fighting through it!

If anyone ever has any questions, in need of advice or encouragement, I am always here. I'm not really shy when it comes to that, because I feel like it's such a natural thing and the best for all babies!

No comments:

Post a Comment