Tuesday, May 19, 2015

Conrads Nursery Tour

I'm in love with this little boys nursery! It actually came together pretty effortlessly considering the doubts I had!
The room was our 3rd bedroom that never really served as a bedroom. It's actually a pretty small bedroom. It consisted of all my sewing and craft things and was basically a catch all room that I could shut the door to and ignore. The closet is nice size for an older home and was my 2nd closet since I share half of my bedroom closet with my husband and between the two of us, have way too many clothes! The room had nasty old green carpet and around 3 layers of flowered wallpaper on all the walls.
Before getting pregnant with him, I had decided to get that room in order and make it presentable and function properly. I started tearing down wallpaper, and got the first layer to come off pretty smoothly but the next 2 layers were so stuck, it's like they were fused to the wall and I started to give up. By this point in my efforts to spruce up my craft room, we decided to have another baby and then I moved everything out of that room, to the first room in my basement since the new baby would be in need of that room.
My uncle is a professional painter and he offered, as well as my mother-in-law, to help me get all the wallpaper off the walls and paint.
I've personally never been a fan "babyish" decor for a nursery. I prefer a room that can easily be transitioned into a big kid/toddler room without having to change much of anything at all. So it was a toss up between an underwater/shark theme since that's my husband's favorite or vintage aviation (which was my pick). I searched ideas on pinterest as well as the internet in general and couldn't really find anything I really liked for an underwater room without making it a nautical room with anchors and the like and I found countless ideas I fell in love with in terms of aviation so my choice won!
After the room was painted I ripped up the carpet which I enjoy doing and cleaned up the floor and got a big rug to lay down. One of my best friends gifted me her sons crib that he wasn't using any longer since Hanley is still not ready for a big girl bed (not complaining in the least, I love having her confined!!). I found a new dresser on Craigslist for Hanleys room to replace the changing table we took out for his nursery. We also still use Hanleys glider rocker every single night for reading books at bedtime so I knew I couldn't take that away from her so I found a nice glider on Craigslist for his room also. Plus, I already had a little side table taking up space in my basement to go beside the glider so we put that to good use instead of purchasing anything.

giant propeller
Conrad pillow


My mom made Conrad the little blue and tan afghan on the back of the chair.

airplane sketches via pinterest

vintage airplane

I created this little list of the aviation alphabet used by pilots.

1959 vintage air routes map

This 1959 air route map is right out of a map book and shows the actual airlines back then and the routes they took, very cool!

aviation fabric
The aviation fabric was purchased online since none of the fabric stores around me had anything that I liked. My mother in law made the curtains for his window and they turned out beautifully!



DIY airplane art

This airplane piece of art was made by me with the help of a pinterest tutorial. There's a similar piece that can be purchased from Pottery Barn but I don't have several hundred dollars for an art piece... Seriously took about 2 months and less than $30 to complete but whatever you do, don't look very close at it lol it was a mod podge transfer, using water and your fingers to rub the dried on paper off... Super long process but in the end, I'm glad I did it!


These are built in book shelves that I've always hated until now. Previously, they always just looked like a big wall of clutter.


No comments:

Post a Comment