Thursday, March 12, 2015

Hanley Goes to the Dentist

This picture makes my heart happy!

Hanley had a dentist checkup last week. Overall, this was her second dentist appointment ever. I started taking her when she turned 2, I want her to be comfortable and enjoy getting her teeth cleaned, like her mama!

She's such a great little patient!! She listens very well and opens up when they ask her to. She's the best 'go with the flow' little sidekick! I always make sure I warn her, so to say, when things like this are happening. Since her appointment was on a Wednesday, I started talking to her around Monday that she was going to have a dentist appointment. So that way, we talk about it for a couple days to sort of get her prepared. I'll talk to her about what they'll do and what makes the dentist happy and unhappy. That way, she knows exactly where we are going, and has an idea of what will happen so she doesn't have to feel afraid.

Thankfully, no cavities and she finally had her first 2nd year molar break through the gum with another one on its way.

I've been too nervous to start her on actual fluoride toothpaste and had still been using the safe 'training' paste because she always sucks it off then brushes (and then I brush better for her, after) but her dentist reassured me it would be totally safe to start her, using half a pea sized amount of toothpaste. Much to my surprise, half a pea size amount of toothpaste (which sounds like nothing at all) goes a very long way in a toddlers mouth! I surely would've been using way too much had I not had this conversation with her dentist. So the evening after her dentist appointment, I talked to her about her 'special' toothpaste and told her all about how she shouldn't swallow it. I demonstrated how she should rinse her mouth out with water afterwards and she was anxious to try herself. Shockingly, she did amazing. She didn't swallow any of the fluoride toothpaste and rinsed her mouth like a champ. I was so ecstatic! She doesn't quite understand how to keep all the foamy toothpaste from dripping down her mouth but I guess that's the least of my worries. I have to constantly remind her the entire time she is brushing (or when I'm rebrushing for her) not to swallow because there's been a few mishaps where she swallows everything instead of spitting it out when its time to rince her mouth with water.

Thankfully, she loves brushing her teeth and actually asks to floss some nights too. Here's to hoping we can keep her dental hygiene up to avoid cavities for a very long time!!

No comments:

Post a Comment