Thursday, October 6, 2016

Go Ape {Birthday Chronicles}

For Michael's birthday this year, I wanted to plan some type of surprise for him. I wasn't quite sure what I was thinking about doing but concerts are difficult because he always knows about them before me and I wasn't able to plan a trip away longer than a day.

A friend of mine on Facebook posted about her recent fun at Go Ape and I knew that was it. It looked perfect to me, but I imagined it wouldn't seem as perfect to Michael. He is afraid of heights but I was hoping since he wouldn't know about it until we got there, there would be a less chance he would back out.

I scoured the website, read the FAQs and other reviews from around the internet to learn all that I could before we went.

Go Ape is more than just ziplining. They call it a tree top adventure. There are numerous obstacle courses up in the trees!! The entire thing takes 2.5-3 hours to complete.
The website says "So much more than a simple zip line canopy tour, the Go Ape Mill Stream Run course is a fully immersive outdoor experience. Go Ape features 5 action packed treetop obstacle course sections, leading you higher into the forest canopy. Guests will navigate 42 exciting crossings like, the Jungle Crossing, Spiders Web, 2 Tarzan swings and 5 exhilarating zip lines. When you Go Ape you get an outdoor adventure worth talking about. "

They give you a 'crash course' in all the gear and the proper way to use it all because there are NO instructors up in the trees holding your hand along the way. You have to be confident enough to know what you're doing or you will really screw something up, or die...

I ended up finding the whole process of hooking yourself on and off and moving along all the lines by ourselves very therapeutic (weird??). There's a whole process of hooking yourself on so you're always attached so there's no chance of falling out of the trees.

The Tarzan swing was my favorite and I even went back up and did that particular course a 2nd time because it was so fun. Some of the courses offer signs of "easy, moderate, or extreme" with more than one course option so you can choose. I personally chose the hardest course any time it was available.

I can NOT wait to go again and Michael had a great time as well!

No comments:

Post a Comment