Thursday, April 3, 2014

My Engagement Story

I never thought what I knew to be an average day at the zoo would turn into one of the best moments of my life! 

I had absolutely no idea what he was up to, even though I passed over several oddities throughout the day. I didn't think much about not waiting in the ticket line or even when we were being waved through by the ticket collectors at the door.

We walked the zoo, just like everyone else, and just like every other time. Peering in on all the exhibits and animals. We were apparently on a time restriction, little did I know, as I tried convincing Michael to "waste time" lurking from random benches. He shockingly remained calm as his stress levels began to rise, I later found out. 

We approached the jellyfish exhibit, which was the last exhibit, and I was especially excited because I had never seen a real jellyfish before. We go inside and I was utterly amazed by all these creatures in their tanks, I began snapping dozens of pictures. I took so long at the very first tank of jellyfish that Michael said to me, "...c'mon!..." so I huffed and said "but I've never seen these before!" So we move on to the next jellyfish tank and I, again, could have starred at them forever so Michael says, "c'mon lets go!" I didn't understand what his problem was so I asked, "why are you rushing me!?!" Michael ended up saying, "Okay listen, I didn't want to have to do this, but, you have to listen to what I say and not ask any questions!" I recall calling him a "weirdo" and I pouted on the way out of the exhibit.

To leave the zoo, you have to pass through the gift shop. We walk in and right away Michael tells me to look around and walks away. He comes back a couple of minutes later, grabs my hand to follow him out, with my tennis shoes in his other hand. At this point, I am even more confused and clueless. We walk in the door of the administrative offices and there stands 2 ladies waiting on us. They ask me to put on my tennis shoes and tell me Michael has set up a "Behind the Scenes Tour." 

I have always wanted to do something like this and immediately started to cry even before they told me which animal we were getting to see.

Still at this point, I can honestly say, I never thought a proposal was coming...

As we leave the office, go back in the zoo, and back through some private gates, she tells me we get to visit the penguins! I love penguins! As the private gates opened, there sat about 15 animal keepers all sitting on a picnic table, later to find out they were waiting on us to watch the entire thing unfold.

We go in the penguin building and meet up with the main penguin animal keeper. In the kitchen area she tells us all about their diet, we walk up these stairs and she shows us where they sleep and then down another hallway, explains all the special tests baby penguins have to pass before being cleared to the main exhibit.

Much to my surprise, the next door she opened led out onto the rocks of the actual penguin exhibit!

At this point, standing in the penguin exhibit, I am still extremely naive to what was about to happen. As the keeper is holding a penguin, she proceeds to tell us why there are so many rocks in the exhibit and how rocks play an important role in the lives of mating penguins. She goes on to say the male penguins will search and search for the perfect rock and once he finds it, he will present it to a female and if she approves, they mate for life.

And at that very moment, Michael began to kneel. He told me he found the perfect rock for me and asked me to marry him! 

I started bawling instantly and of course answered, "YES!" There had been a growing crowd of onlookers and everyone started cheering, clapping, and shouting!

It most certainly surpassed anything I could have ever dreamed of and was overwhelmed at how perfect everything turned out! 

My parents already knew, he took them to breakfast prior and asked my dad for my hand, seriously!? He also asked both of my brothers, which I thought was so sweet and thoughtful

The keeper gave us a stone to keep out of the penguin exhibit and took some pictures for us! Afterward, Michael was telling me how no one had ever proposed inside the penguin exhibit like that at that zoo!! It was so special to me! The local paper even did a story on it and we would hear random people talking about it, which is just so crazy! 

 












No comments:

Post a Comment